Thursday 26 August 2010

Moosomin, Saskatchewan - Going With The Flow

Woke up this morning to brilliant blue sky and a heavy duty wrecker attached to my front bumper.  Not the type of hood ornament that is trucker friendly. lol.

It's a little after lunch time for me but only morning coffee time out here on the prairies.  The boys here at Davidson Truck and Tractor have our unit in the shop.  Does not look promising at the moment but things change in a hurry in this business.  Things are a problem when they can't get the ECM to upload to the computer.   So I have to exercise some patience and let them do their thing.  They will figure it out.  But it's definitely looking like an ECM problem.  At least to me.  But I'm just a gear jammer out here.  Point the dam thing in the right direction and get the freight there on time.  That's my specialty.  Mechanical problems just clutter up my day.

Good people out here in Moosomin.  Down to earth if you know what I mean.  Methodical with that easy going nature about them.  There are a lot of folks like that out here on the prairies when you get away from the bigger cities.  I know it's a stereotype but it's true none the less.  I like dealing with people that don't get ruffled.  It gives me confidence when people step back and you can see them pondering the different possibilities.  So I'll just stay out of the way and wait for the verdict.  What else can you do?

I talked to my wife last night from the side of the road and we had a laugh over the whole situation.  Murphy's law and all that.  This isn't a life threatening situation or anything just another day in the life.  I'm lucky to share my life with someone that understands this industry is always in flux.  I especially appreciate the fact that she appreciates the unpredictability despite the fact that she does not even possess a driving license so she does not spend any time at all on the road.  Perhaps that gives her a unique perspective that we as drivers never see.  I know I see her efforts on the home front from a far different perspective than what she does.  Home for me is an island of stability in a sea of constant motion.  Eventually the currents out here carry you to where you want to be.  Thinking those thoughts reminded me of a Taoist story about "going with the flow".  Here it is:

A Taoist story tells of an old man who accidentally fell into the river rapids leading to a high and dangerous waterfall. Onlookers feared for his life. Miraculously, he came out alive and unharmed downstream at the bottom of the falls. People asked him how he managed to survive. “I accommodated myself to the water, not the water to me. Without thinking, I allowed myself to be shaped by it. Plunging into the swirl, I came out with the swirl. This is how I survived.

 I guess that's the message I should be taking away from my experience over the last couple of weeks.  Go with the flow.  It's always easier to be shaped by your experience than to try a shape your world to your ideals.  Ah, the silver lining to the dark cloud.

1 comment:

  1. good story al from your buds at davidson truck and tractor hope all is well todd

    ReplyDelete