Saturday 28 August 2010

Moosomin - Part III (The final chapter - I hope)

Just before noon local time and it's Saturday August 28.  I checked out of the hotel and I'm sitting over at the repair shop.  The ECM for my truck was shipped and received this morning and the work is been done as I speak to put the pieces back together.  By mid to late afternoon I should be rolling east problem free.  Knock on wood!!

I made the best of yesterday afternoon and caught up on all those domestic chores.  The hotel had a guest laundry facility which came in handy.  After 2 weeks on the road and no opportunity to throw a load of laundry through almost every stitch of clothing I had with me was in need of a wash.  The hotel also had an exercise facility so I put in some time on the treadmill while the laundry was in.  After that a shower and I was clean all around and had killed the better part of the day.

I decided to check out the local restaurant last night.  Not bad at all.  A couple of frosty beers, a fairly decent dish of pasta and chicken along with a hunk of cheesecake for desert and I was feeling pretty good as I sat watching the world go by.

Yes, I'm getting just a little antsy today.  After 2 days  you start to wonder if you will ever get going again.  It's taking a lot of effort to stay out of the way and let the work get done.  I was just looking over the post I put up almost ten days ago.  I had written about recognizing negative events but not letting them dictate how you react in the moment.  There was a lot that my wife and I had planned for this weekend and if I had focused all my energy on the fact that those plans didn't pan out I would have suffered a great deal of misery.  I am disappointed and there were times over the past couple of days when I felt hard done by.  Every occupation has its pitfalls.  I just happened to stumble into a deep hole this past week and it has taken a while to climb out.  Thinking we can live on an even keel week in and week out just isn't realistic.  Especially in the business of trucking.

The future holds many more lows and many more highs.  Having the opportunity to write and think about the events of the past week has reinforced my belief that you can be happy and content in even the most difficult circumstances.  External events can influence my state of mind but not control it.  Only I can do that.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, especially the last paragraph. Let's be thankful we have the freedom to express our opinions.

    ReplyDelete