Friday 27 August 2010

Moosomin - Part II

Sitting in a hotel room on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the outcome of my next phone call.  It's only 10:20 or so out here on the prairies as I post this.  My day hinges on whether or not CAT in Regina will get the ECM for my truck re-programmed and shipped back to Moosomin today.  Will I be leaving today or will it stretch out into tomorrow?  If CAT does not get the job done today what will happen for the weekend?  Am I on holidays?  Do I hold the room for another night or check out?  Dispatch in Ontario is also on the edge of their collective seats as they wait to hear from me.  It's Friday after all.  A busy day for freight and there is a loaded trailer waiting for me in Winnipeg that is due into southern Ontario for Monday morning.  Decisions need to be made.  Deadlines are approaching fast.

I love this business.

I'm counting down the minutes before I pick up the phone.  Oooooooooo, the drama.  Lol.

12:00 local time and after numerous phone calls I now have some direction to my day.  The bottom line is I'm spending another night in Moosomin.  The folks doing the work on my truck are straight shooters and did not sugar coat the fact that they don't think they will have the truck ready for tonight.  Good to know.  If they don't have the part back from Regina in time they can't do their thing.  No problem.  I was then able to feed information back to dispatch so they could do the planning they need to do.  Regardless of what happens with my truck I know I will be moving towards home sometime tomorrow.  The boys have a plan and contingency plan in place that we can fine tune towards the end of the today as things evolve.

Good news?  The guys at Davidson loaned me a pickup to use while I'm here in town.  I can now get my laundry done here at the hotel and check out their exercise facilities, pool & hot tub if I like.  Maybe treat myself to a decent meal tonight and rest up for the push home tomorrow.  Life goes on with a vengeance.

No comments:

Post a Comment