Saturday 9 February 2013

Fatigue

I'm finding that as I age I have a continuing problem with sleep debt. It's an account I just can't seem to bring into balance. I've been experimenting with different ways of acquiring the required amount of rest I need. I'm finding that shorter periods of rest more frequently appear to be the answer for me. But at the same time I'm having great difficulty fitting that into a very busy schedule and meeting all of my a obligations.

Truck driving is a frustrating profession when it comes to getting the amount of rest you require. For many drivers a work day does not have a fixed starting and ending point. Working day shifts and night shifts within the same week disrupts the sleep cycle. Fatigue is so common place that most drivers don't even recognize they suffer as a result of  it. I believe it is the major contributor to poor diet, lack of exercise, and stress on the job for professional drivers.

The problem is there are so many contributing factors to driver fatigue that finding a solution seems insurmountable. This is the problem I have been facing over the last 1 to 2 weeks. So many of those contributing factors are beyond my control and I tire of hearing from people within the industry, "that's trucking". In other words, they don't have a solution either.

Frustrating stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment