Friday 15 February 2013

Fatigue and Exercise

I was working out with a personal trainer at the gym last Friday morning. That's something I've been doing twice a week over the past year. I've come to enjoy the frank discussions we have about my personal health and wellbeing as I recover between working sets. It is a benefit of the training sessions I never anticipated.

We were discussing the challenges I have been facing over the past few weeks surrounding the issue of fatigue, both physical and mental. One  of the things that came up was that despite the fact I was feeling really tired and worn down I was experiencing times of feeling relaxed and content while at the wheel.  And it's happening more frequently lately. I'm not saying that improved physical fitness is the panacea to all the hurdles and pitfalls we face as truck drivers but I believe it is a major contributing factor.

What else should we be paying attention to as professional drivers? How about sleep, home time, and diet for starters. In turn, all of those things contribute to the state of our mental health and & emotional well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment