Wednesday 29 December 2010

White Christmas

It's Boxing day morning and I managed to waddle my way out of bed, make a coffee and plunk myself down in front of the interactive idiot box.  Eating far too much, drinking more than necessary, and generally over indulging adds to a wonderful Christmas experience with family.  All you have to do is open the fridge door to know we were a little excessive on the food front.  I'm sure we were not the only ones to do so.

The month of December has been a white one.  I think I have experienced some type of snow delay every time I have headed out on the road this past month.  In fact when I did my last rounder up to Winnipeg and back the week prior to Christmas every area I traveled through was covered in snow.  I don't remember the last time I have seen snow cover from Winnipeg to Chicago to Toronto.  White Christmas indeed.

But it's not the snow from big storms that has been the biggest obstacle to travel over the past month.  It has been all the lake effect snow we have experienced.  Especially south of Lake Huron towards my home town of London.  Check out the results of the first major snowfall we experienced at the start of December.  London had over 3 feet of snow over the course of 3 days.  Twenty miles east and west of the city there was virtually no snow at all.  Weird.

3 feet of snow in 3 days - around my house in London
Snowmageddon I

A couple of weeks later I spent 2 days in Port Huron, Michigan waiting for the highway 402 to open on the other side of the bridge.  That also dumped another 30 cm of snow on my hometown.

402 Closure - 12-15-10

Glad I cleared the snow from the roof of our house after the first snowfall because the forecast is for warm weather this next weekend and that is going to make things very sloppy and messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment