Sunday 12 December 2010

Mondays

One thing I can say about Mondays is that they are never boring for me.  The only thing I know for sure is that I am normally in Winnipeg and my day usually starts pretty early.  Oh, and I'm usually tired by the end of them.  This week was no exception that's for sure.
Monday's are delivery days, usually around 8 to 10 of them.  I thought I was getting off easy this week with only 5 to do.  I end up with an expectation of being able to get down across the border early in the day and get some miles in to my pick up on the following day.  It's sort of a jump on my trip towards home.  I don't expect it to happen every week but it's nice when it does.  Of course we all know what happens when we count our chickens before they hatch don't we?  Just when I thought it was smooth sailing ahead I ran into a glitch, a big one at that.
One of our most dependable shippers managed to make an error when they loaded the nose of the trailer I had.  My last two drops were mixed up on the bills of lading.  Bottom line was I ended up delivering furniture to the wrong addresses, well, actually the right addresses as far as I knew.  It all got rather confusing since I did not pick up on the error until I had delivered the first order and was in the process of unloading the second order.  It ended up costing about three and a half hours of time to figure it all out and taught me not to take anything for granted even when all the paperwork is correct because sometimes - not very often - the freight just doesn't match up.  Blue Monday.
In some sick and twisted way Monday's like this are what I'm enjoying about doing this run.  There is almost always something different in store for me.  Most of my deliveries are routine and many of them are regulars, if not weekly every couple of weeks or monthly.  So I can bang them off pretty quickly and know when to show up and when not to show up, when to phone ahead and how to access them quickly.  But if I didn't have the challenge of the new and the confusing it would just get boring wouldn't it?  I'm sure there are a few people back in the home office that would disagree with that thought.
A lot of folks say they hate Mondays.  Me?  I kind of enjoy them.  But when I think about it my Mondays are actually the average persons Wednesday.  Monday is my hump day, in more ways than one.  Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment