Sunday 6 December 2009

Frustration: Trucking's Common Denominator

The temperature is -17C, the wind is blowing and the snow is still falling, not heavily, but the wind is building some large drifts.  I am in Calgary.  It is a Sunday morning.  The trailer I have to hook on to has a four foot high by twelve foot deep pile of snow in front of it.  I am waiting for assistance to get me on my way to Winnipeg.  This has been the way things have gone for the last couple of weeks for me.  Murphys's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.  It seems that bad luck and difficulties come in bunches in this business.  I'm not the first driver to experience that and I certainly won't be the last.  It is a test of your emotional well being when it seems that everything you touch falls apart or at the very least, does not work as it should.

There is a Russian proverb that says: "He that is afraid of bad luck will never know good".  I must be in store for a really big chunk of good luck.  Here's what my last week looked like:
  • My dedicated truck is sitting in Edmonton waiting on a new engine.  Lost the #6 piston a week ago - not pretty.  Getting the engine replaced.
  • Ran a 2800 km switch in a day cab last weekend as a result of the above - that was fun
  • Slipped into another truck and started having problems with a temperature sensor (I think) last night.
  • This morning I can't get to the trailer to leave the yard - snowed in.
So I wonder how I'm going to make out getting to Winnipeg and back over the next couple of days?  I do know I'm going to enjoy a couple of days off to reset my log book when I get back to Calgary.

That's the way it is out here.  Driver's spend two, three, four weeks or more out on the road dealing with the frustration as best they can.  It's a challenging lifestyle.  It can be difficult to keep in perspective at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment