Thursday 20 August 2009

Medicine Hat to Brandon - 08/20/09

My favourite time of day is the early morning. I love taking in the sunrise. The light at that time of the day is awesome. Just east of Maple Creek I got into some ground fog. It sat below my windshield as I drove into the sunrise giving you the feeling you were floating in a cloud. Very surreal. As you broke out of the fog all of the tall grass in the median and on either side of the road was coated with large beads of water backlit by the sunrise. Amazing when your moving at 60 mph and you can still see that detail. I love this job. Now I know why so many people like to cycle across the prairies. Moving slowly through that experience would be even more amazing. We were not designed to experience life at 60 mph. Funny, seems more and more people want to move through life at an even faster pace than that.

For a couple of hours after that experience I mulled over that thought. I got to thinking about the hours of service we live by and a prevailing mindset that feels 16 hours in a shift just isn't enough time to allow you to get things done. Starting your day at six or seven in the morning and been able to work through until ten or eleven at night seems like a long enough day to me. I'm not sure I even want to work that hard to earn a respectable living. More on those thoughts later. There was an interesting feature article on the Today's Trucking website this month regarding hours of service. You can check it out here.

The rest of the day panned out as most days do. No major surprises or catastrophes. Although I wanted to end up in Headingley not Brandon but I spent a little too much time stopped over in Regina. C'est la vie. There is always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment