Monday 26 September 2011

Exercise: It Doesn't Have To Be Your Passion

I went for a brisk walk when I arrived in Brandon Manitoba this evening. I always feel better for it when I'm done, especially if I had to push myself to get out of the truck and start moving. I admit I have developed a passion for exercise. If there is such a thing as a positive addiction, exercise is it for me. Going for a daily run or a daily walk has become a form of meditation for me. I turn off my phone, I don't use an ipod, and I turn my mind away from the concerns of the day. It is a peaceful and contemplative time for me that I come away from feeling energized and alive. It's important to me and has a high priority in my daily life.

I firmly believe you don't have to have a passion for exercise to get the exercise you need. You only need to recognize that daily exercise is an investment in your future. It also has the short term benefit of clearing away the mental fatigue you build up over the course of a day. How much exercise do you need? The recommendation is 30 minutes of moderate exercise 5 days per week. Moderate exercise means increasing your heart rate to the point where you are breathing deeper and sweating lightly. You should still be able to carry on a conversation. In other words a brisk 30 minute walk 5 days per week.

There is no fancy equipment involved. There are no expensive club memberships needed. All you need is to find the motivation to walk 15 minutes down the road, turn around, and walk back. That  30 minutes per day can also provide you with the ideal opportunity to contemplate your day and plan tomorrow.

The next time you have a dock delay seize the opportunity. The simplest things in life can often be the most profound. Go for a walk. You just may set yourself on a path that changes your life for the better.

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Al. If drivers were to watch our diets a little closer and walk more, we would be much better off. I like to take advantage of time off while on the road. It make me feel much better. Well, off to the coffee shop. it's a 17 minute walk from my house. Have a decaff, read the paper, and walk home again.
    We need to cross paths somewhere between here and Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey CT. I do a dedicated Winnipeg every week, have for almost a year now. Saturday & Sunday I'm strolling along #17 and I'm usually floating around Winnipeg from Sunday night to Monday afternoon, often into the Headingley Husky for fuel at some point.
    Hope to catch up with you at some point. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, your last article in Truck News told me that you are in stress. With long haul trucking you gotta be very careful and know when to say enough is emough...

    ReplyDelete