Wednesday 15 September 2010

Catching My Breath In Vancouver

Back in the middle of August I did a piece on "Acceptance".  I was trying to get to the heart the issue of change and lack of stability in a drivers day out here on the road.  I think every driver recognizes the fact that there is no such thing as a permanent plan out here.  Our day can change dramatically and drastically on very short notice.  Since posting that piece I feel as if the Trucking Gods read it and have spent the last month challenging me so they could watch me choke down a couple of very large slices of humble pie.

Between the truck breakdown in Moosomin, the long night driving shifts, missed plans at home, challenges with pick ups and drops, having to re-work freight on trailers, rush rush and then sit and wait, and finally a chest cold just to add to that worn out feeling.  This is just the way it goes sometimes.  But for the last two days I have had the chance to catch up on that sleep, clean up and re-organize.  I also got a visit in last week with my sisters and father over on Vancouver island.  There are always high points.

I'm planned on a load from here to Edmonton and then I'll start working my way back to Ontario to spend a few days at home.  The bottom line is you can't let this job drag you down.  I had a goal this year to try and live in the moment and enjoy the lows along with the highs.  The challenges of the last month have ended up picking me up rather than dragging me down.

So I say to the Trucking Gods - BRING IT ON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment