Thursday 18 March 2010

Unplanned Time Off

This past Tuesday saw me leaving for a trip in to Michigan then off to BC.  It was a great plan for me.  It gave me time to do some housekeeping inside my truck before leaving and the trip itself was time well planned.  Full days to get the job done but with windows allowing for breathing space - to be able to stop and smell the roses if I felt like it.  So I left our home terminal in good time and stopped to grab a "Timmy's" at the highway service area just 40 km from the yard.  As I drove down the get on ramp after buying my coffee the truck started flashing messages at me.  A check engine light combined with a DPF status light.  This is not a good combination.

A little information here for those not in the know.  DPF is an acronym for "Diesel Particulate Filter".  This is an integral part of the exhaust emissions management system on some of the newer (last 3 years or so) heavy duty truck engines.  Reducing emissions has been mandated by government and these systems are not an option they are a requirement.  To say the trucking industry is experiencing growing pains or is on a steep learning curve in regard to this technology to meet the standards would be an understatement.  When the truck's Electronic Control Module (ECM = truck's brain) records a failure in the emissions system engine shut down is imminent if steps are not taken to correct it.

So those two warning lights on my dash are not only the first warning of a problem they also cause an initial rise in the driver's blood pressure and stress level.  In a nutshell, you see all of your trip planning go out the window.  The bottom line here?  Advise dispatch so they can make alternate arrangements for the load and head back to the yard.  The truck needs to see the doctor for service and I receive a couple of extra unplanned days off.

I don't resent time off.  I never seem to have enough of it.  None of us do, no matter what our profession.  But that time off effects my bottom line.  Driving is piece work after all.  Zero miles equals zero pay which in turn equals yet another stress management challenge.  My mind was wrapped around these negative thoughts as I drove the truck back to the yard, blowing them out of proportion.  I was feeling angry.  Problem is, there was not anyone to blame.  Equipment breaks down, stuff happens, life goes on.  But in the moment it's hard not to be totally pissed.

I looked at the bright side as I was driving home, or at least tried to.  Weather forecast was good for tomorrow, trucks clean, packed & ready to roll when I get the word, I have some more time home with Deb.  I can't change the circumstances so I might as well enjoy them, that's what I kept telling myself.

The unplanned time off worked out well in the end.  The following day (yesterday) dawned sunny, warm and calm.  Unbelievable for mid March.  I took an hour to walk along the pathway down by the Thames river which is in flood right now.  Spring was definitely in the air but it was strange because there is still not one bit of greenery on any trees or plants.  The saying goes "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb".  Let's hope the reverse isn't true this year.  So I continued to take advantage of the good weather.  I climbed up on the roof and pulled down the Christmas lights while Deb did some yard clean up and we caught up on the neighborhood news with a couple of or neighbors.  Nice day.

Well I just got the word via email that my truck is ready to roll tonight.  Good news.  I'm off to Kalamazoo to deliver then up to Grand Rapids, Michigan to pick up a three stop load: Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon.  That gives me time to spend a couple of more hours out in the yard today enjoying the fine weather.

I'll be offline while in the States so I'll catch up when I cross back into western Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment