Friday 19 February 2010

Oh The Prairies

Light fog heading into Saskatoon
So I've been home for most of the week and it has taken that long to get into a relaxed state of mind.  Just in time to go back out on the road tomorrow.  The good news is that it will be a short trip out to Halifax and back.  Interesting for me too because I have never had the opportunity to run out to the east coast of Canada.  There is always something new to see.

Westbound #1 near Portage La Prairie, MB.
I spent an awful lot of time running back and forth across the prairies over the past couple of months.  I was glad to get back into Ontario on the way home just for the change of scenery.  The last couple of weeks have been kind of weird as far as the weather is concerned.  Seems all I was running through was ice fog.  You know that heavy fog that just hangs in the air at around -10C and transforms your truck into a big white snow cone as the day wears on.  The CB antennae become encrusted with ice and start wagging back and forth slamming against the side of the truck's cab.  Then all of a sudden you burst into brilliant sunshine.  Every living thing coated in white frost against a background of deep blue sky.  Stunning.  Then its back into the fog.  Occasionally those breakouts into the sun will be accompanied by the prairie wind blowing the snow across the road in thick streamers adding a surreal feel to the day.
Heading back toward Winnipeg

There is no doubt running the prairies develops your mental muscle.  Setting yourself up on cruise control for hour after hour and for days on end can really put a hurt on your brain.  Staying mindful of the present moment is very challenging on those long uneventful days.

Those long days have really sucked the life out of me this winter.  I have not been getting any regular exercise in and my sleep patterns have been totally out of whack.  It's amazing how that effects your daily outlook on life.  Usually not for the better.

1 comment:

  1. Your snow covered scenery is much like Missouri this year. But without the frigid temps. We've had an unusually long period of snow covered ground. The longest I can remember in my 60 odd years. I have an inkling knowledge of driving long strethes across snow covered prairie. Don't envy you there.

    I've been to Ontario about 4 times on fishing vacations. They have left lasting memories. Hope to make it back again one of these days.

    Safe driven. X.

    ReplyDelete