Tuesday 23 February 2010

Halifax

So last night I was in Halifax.  A full load of office furniture delivered to a job site in the downtown core.  It's hard to believe that I have been driving professionally for 11 years and this is the first time I have been into the Atlantic provinces.

I felt like a new driver yesterday.  It was a good feeling.  I didn't know what surprises were waiting for me around the next corner.

The first challenge was getting across a bridge into the downtown.  My GPS gave me the shortest, but it turns out not the best, route.  "No trucks over 3200 Kg's" reads the sign.  Wonderful.  Five o'clock in the evening in a city you've never been in before and it's time to start winging it.  That's why we get paid the big bucks right?

The folks in that grocery store parking lot didn't think too much of me as I wheeled in to make a u-turn.  C'est la vie! So I found a bridge that accepts commercial traffic - there was only one other bridge - and continued into downtown.  Turns out the narrow street that doesn't appear to be a truck route is the only way of reaching a large container port on the other side of town.  I'm safe.  I'm also patting myself on the back for having the wisdom to stop outside of town and slide my trailer tandems up.  There were a few tight corners down there.  I was only 10 minutes behind schedule when I arrived and the crew was just getting ready to work on the unload.  All was good and all went smoothly.

When I finished my drop I drove up to Aulac, NB and parked at the Irving truck stop for the night.  My pick up is in a couple of hours just up the road in Dieppe.  Then it's home for a couple of days.

This was a great little trip.  It got the blood pumping and brought back some of those feelings of adventure I experienced in abundance my first few years out on the road.  It's amazing how doing a job that presents different situations everyday can still become routine in a way.  Funny that.

No comments:

Post a Comment