Wednesday 16 October 2013

10-15-13

This morning at 06:45 I rolled on to the shippers scale in Breckenridge Minnesota. When I walked in to the shipping / receiving office I was greeted with a joyful, "Hey, I was hoping it was going to be you this morning ".

I've been so wound up over my tight schedule this past couple of days I completely forgot to take into account the great individual relationships I've developed over the years and how valuable they can be when you get in a bind.

It's easy to feel like a very small cog in a big machine these days. You may feel like you have little or no influence over the events that unfold over the course of your day. I've been feeling that lack of control a lot lately. But the truth is that when a small part breaks down it usually  effects the operation of the whole machine. We often take our influence for granted.

That wonderful greeting I received from Tara this morning resulted from being generous with my time and practicing a little generosity of spirit. Put another way, I've never rushed individuals I deal with when I'm picking up or delivering freight and I've always acted as if I was a guest in their house deferring to the rules of conduct they have to follow in their workplace. So these time vampires ( shippers & receivers ) that truckers love to hate become an asset rather than a liability. But you need to take the first step and be patient.

Does this approach work with everyone? No. But most people will respond in a positive way and over time your life will get easier. Of course if one of the few fools that drive for your company show up for the next load with a me first attitude they'll undermine your efforts somewhat but not totally.

Other names for this extension of generosity and kindness? Exceptional customer service, respect, friendliness, kindness, empathy, camaraderie, goodwill, just to name a few.

This approach extends beyond the dock. You know, attitude, that word you hear at safety meetings when our interactions with other drivers, compliance officials, our dispatchers & support staff comes under discussion. :)

It's so easy to feel like you have a target on your back when you're a trucker. That's how I felt when I wrote yesterday's post, and it showed.

5 comments:

  1. Well said Al, touching on the parts of the day that we can "control" vs. the many others that we can't! Glad your trip included better miles and turned around for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The life of a trucker! Awesome blog and post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I've never seen your blog before, but this post hit home. I've also been focusing on the mundane the last few days, when in reality it's individual relationships that really give meaning to life. You're only small if you think you are.

    Jenn | http://www.robotransport.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fascinating perspective to read about trucking. I know I give lots of space for those trucks on the road. I really appreciate what truckers do for me by doing their job.
    Megan Jones http://www.mcmillantransport.ca

    ReplyDelete